Tuesday, July 12, 2011

More Than A Year

Yes it's been a long time. Here's what happened...

I started painting the Calla Lilly picture and I just couldn't get an even flow of the stubborn paint on this incredibly dry and super-absorbent canvas board. My brushes were cheap and it showed. I couldn't make the strokes the way I wanted them. At the time, my finances were very thin and I couldn't afford to be generous with paint. I became bogged down by these technical details and got overly frustrated.

I woke up after having a fitful nightmare about the painting and said: enough is enough. So I washed out my brushes, capped up my paints and tucked the canvas boards in the closet. Before long my easel was dismantled and it had been like I'd never taken the attempt to resurrect my art hobby at all.

I'm in a new apartment now and I look at the two completed paintings I did in the course of this blog and I'm not even satisfied enough to hang them in an available spot in my bathroom. They look like the pitiful products of a no-talent loser. Ouch, harsh, I know. What's more, my new place is much nicer and all carpeted. There will be no reassembling of the easel here.

But the drive to create is still in me. I may not have the knack (or, more likely, patience) for painting anymore but there is drawing...and I actually have a spare desk here. I don't doubt my nascent draftsman abilities. Or how about photography? Hmmm. Fret not, there's still the possibility for new artworks after all.

I can't pin down a time frame for the debut of my next work-in-progress series of posts here. Just be on the lookout. I may be down, but I'm by no means out.

No comments:

Post a Comment