Friday, March 5, 2010

Source Photo: Bowl of Fruit

I kept thinking...

What kind of still life will I paint next?

I've seen what's out there and though I truely love so many artists and their works, especially the Painting A Day folks, they seem to follow the same Pied Piper when it comes to subject matter. You know: A wild daisy in a clear glass vase, a couple of bulbs of garlic, some loosely arranged chili peppers, bunches and bowls of all sorts of fruits and vegetables.

Executed well, I guess almost any subject can look great. I've seen one artist just paint piles of rocks and make them look elegant and mysterious at the same time. Some paint translucent fruit like orange or kiwi slices to show off their mastery of interpreting light and its affects on less-than-fully-opaque objects. Looks wonderful too. Some vary the assortment within the same picture to give a variety of shapes and textures while maintaining a consistency in brush strokes and style. Challenging for sure.

But I wanted to impart a bit of my sardonic sense of humor and poke just a tiny bit of fun and parody with my next piece.

So here's the source photo. A light-hearted and unique twist on a very familiar theme:

No comments:

Post a Comment